Saturday, February 02, 2013

Do we sometimes need a donkey?



In Numbers 22 we see how the false prophet, Balaam, was used by God to show God's glory and protect the Israelites. Frustrated he set off on his donkey and three times the Angel of the Lord stood in the donkey's way, and after the third time Balaam started to beat his donkey not realizing what was happening. You have to love the dialogue:


27 This time when the donkey saw the angel, it lay down under Balaam. In a fit of rage Balaam beat the animal again with his staff.
28 Then the Lord gave the donkey the ability to speak. “What have I done to you that deserves your beating me three times?” it asked Balaam.
29 “You have made me look like a fool!” Balaam shouted. “If I had a sword with me, I would kill you!”
30 “But I am the same donkey you have ridden all your life,” the donkey answered. “Have I ever done anything like this before?”
“No,” Balaam admitted.

Now first of all, Balaam should have been shocked by his donkey talking to him in the first place, but that seemed to go right over his head because he was so steamed at the beast. The animal was only protecting his master. Sometimes we can get so frustrated with our lives that we can miss out on the miraculous and we need a donkey to get our attention. 

Hee-haw!


No comments:

Post a Comment